A new event is coming to my radar! CAFÉ, which is now in its second edition, is an event for visual effects and animation professionals.
CAFÉ is short for Conferences, Animation, FX (Special Effects) and Expertise, and will take place at the Palais des congrès de Montréal, Canada on May 16 and 17, 2023.
Here is the press release dated April 26, 2023:
“The second edition of the event CAFE (for C-onference, Animation, FX and Expertise) will offer a rich program around the theme Explore new worlds. On May 16 and 17, this will result in content on stimulating topics in technology and creativity in the fields of animation and visual effects. This unmissable event will showcase the creativity and innovative spirit of the sector, while providing stakeholders with a unique opportunity for networking, business development and recruitment.
“An unparalleled unifying event by and for visual effects and animation experts, CAFÉ was designed to bring together all the specialists in the sector and showcase Quebec’s exceptional talent in the field,” says Christine Maestracci, President and CEO of the Bureau du cinéma et de la télévision du Québec (BCTQ), organizer of the event. Its second edition will highlight the technologies of today and the innovations of tomorrow, inspire the creativity of the next generation and celebrate the richness of the work of local and international actors. Its programming will offer inspiring panels, conferences with world-renowned guests, unforgettable business meetings and unique activities, and will remind us that Québec is one of the world’s three hubs in visual effects and animation. »
Knowing the possibilities of tomorrow
Several high-quality conferences will be offered by Quebec specialists and world luminaries. Four keynote conferences will mark the event:
• Sony Pictures Imageworks and Sony Pictures Animation will unveil and comment on footage from Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse just days before its release;
• Nick Marshall and Melaina Mace, DNEG’s Digital Effects Supervisor and CG Supervisor respectively, will reveal their approach to creating the post-apocalyptic world of the acclaimed series The Last of Us ;
• Geoffrey Baumann, Visual Effects Production Supervisor at Marvel Studios, will speak about the underwater visual effects work for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ;
• Director Pierre Perifel and Jean-Pierre Sans, Head of Animation at DreamWorks Animation Studios, will take on a behind-the-scenes look at the animated film The Bad Guys.
17 other presentations are on the program. Here are some of them:
• The Pixar studio will discuss the RenderMan rendering tool and its future use in the context of artificial intelligence, virtual reality, etc. ;
• WeFX will tell the story of the design stages of the character Lotion Lady from the episode “Outside” of Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities;
• Pixomondo’s talk will focus on creating the real-time digital environment for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
All the programming can be found on the CAFÉ à https://cafe-vfx.com/programmation-2023/ website.
Take stock of the issues of the moment
An important segment of CAFÉ 2023 will be dedicated to the environmental aspect. It will present the details of the Let’s Go Green program and the necessary transition of the industry to green productions. This QFTC initiative dedicated to eco-responsible audiovisual production in Quebec promotes and encourages the implementation of sound practices at all stages of production. CAFÉ will foster discussion and explore the next steps of the program to greenen the studios’ visual effects and animation productions.
A research and development event will be held for a full afternoon. Organized by CDRIN and SYNTHÈSE, it will bring together panels of experts from the education and professional worlds. They will look at applied research, the integration of new technologies and emerging trends in research and development in computer graphics.
Network, meet and develop
Other key components and themes of this second edition include:
• La Scène Partenaire: It will be possible to meet animation and visual effects specialists, who will reveal the projects they are working on and the collaborations that make the Quebec industry successful;
• The Education Zone presented by SYNTHESIS: There will be portfolio revision activities for students and an exhibition of works printed on canvas;
• Living Spaces: They will form a relaxed place inviting participants to have a coffee, relax and exchange without having to leave the premises. The 5 to 7 taking place there will also allow visitors to network and end the day well.
A showcase for the industry and its members
On the sidelines of CAFÉ, from May 15 to 17, a familiarization tour focused on visual effects and animation will allow Quebec studios and producers to make themselves known by the international guests of the event. They will discover the breadth of this sector, the diversity of our expertise and the exceptional scope of our talent and creativity. In addition to visiting various visual effects and animation studios, they will attend conferences and meet CAFÉ’s partners.
A unique opportunity to seize
Initiative of the QFTC and produced by Productions Kaliko, CAFÉ 2023 will bring together more than 800 specialists and professionals in visual effects and animation. It will take place at the Palais des congrès de Montréal on May 16 and 17, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (open house from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.).
All tickets include access to conferences, programming activities and Living Spaces. Business tickets also provide access to the Business Lounge, cocktail parties and the MeetToMatch business meeting platform. For ticketing, click here.
CAFÉ 2023 is possible thanks to the participation of Autodesk partners, A.A. Studios, Hybride Technologies, Raynault VFX, Rodeo FX, SYNTHÈSE – Pôle Image Québec, Tonic DNA, École NAD-UQAC, Framestore, Mikros Animation, Rayon FX, BUF, L’Atelier Animation, Folks VFX, Hypertec, Montréal International, 80 Level, Animation World Network, ACM Siggraph Montreal, Befores & afters, VES MTL and VFX Voice.
CAFÉ is an annual unifying event for visual effects and animation professionals. They meet their community, discuss the latest innovations and share their knowledge in a warm and camaraderie atmosphere. In addition, they make new discoveries through conferences, business meetings, exclusive evenings, unique activities, etc. CAFÉ showcases the talents of the sector while celebrating the richness of the work of local and international actors.
About the Bureau du cinéma et de la télévision du Québec
The Bureau du cinéma et de la télévision du Québec is a non-profit organization that contributes to Québec’s development and competitiveness as a world-class multiscreen production centre. It generates investments in Québec through competitive tax incentive programs, the know-how of members of the sector, geographic and architectural diversity, the quality of infrastructure and the industry’s ability to export its products.
About Kaliko Productions
Productions Kaliko uses its expertise to support its clients in all stages of their project, from conception to realization while adapting as needed. Whether for production and logistics, communications and customer experience or the turnkey offer, Kaliko’s creativity and ingenuity bring all ideas to life!”