Last updated: February 14, 2022.
Wondering why let your kids play video games? Or why play it yourself? You will find in this article 15 benefits to this practice. Of course, this list is not exhaustive, but will already give you a good idea of the positive points of playing video games, whether you are a child or an adult.
Humanity has been inventing games and telling stories to itself since the dawn of time.
Indeed, archaeological finds demonstrate that every trace of human life is accompanied by remains of games.
Games can be found in all cultures and seem to be among the oldest traces of social interactions.
Today, we are spoilt for choice to express ourselves, explore and entertain ourselves… And video games are one of them!
Long decried, this medium is more and more part of our lives, even in the professional and edutainment world.
Here are some good reasons to play a video game, regardless of age:
- For fun. Simply. And because having fun is good for mental health and happiness.
- In the same tone, playing helps us to change our minds, with as a bonus, an ability to concentrate better and be more productive afterwards (work for adults, homework for children …)
- To let off steam, give voice to your emotions, in a healthy and playful way. Indeed, accumulating tensions is never good and the video game can be part of the process of releasing them.
- To vary the different media of entertainment and games.
- To discover a new universe, other ways of thinking. It’s kind of a way of traveling.
- To follow a story and work his imagination, develop his empathy, his memory … Just like reading a book.
- To cooperate or compete. Whether the game is in cooperative or competitive mode, it can, for example, help forge parent/child bonds and strengthen your complicity if you play together. Of course, the advantage of cooperative games is the development of synchronization and listening skills.
- In the same vein, playing video games improves communication and social connections, whether players are on site or online. It also allows a sharing of cultural experiences, especially through the reading of articles, on paper or on the internet, in connection with games, or even writing on the subject, which are rather common practices among gamers.
- In line with what has just been written, this medium is an important cultural and creative force , involving many art forms. From script and sound composition and sound effects to code and graphics, all of these aspects can be an integral part of children’s and young people’s learning processes.
- The interest in one or more of the above-mentioned facets can make you want to create video games yourself or to develop one or more skills inherent in this field.
- Even without going so far as to learn how to program, the possibilities that many games offer in terms of customization of characters, costumes, universes and being able to embody your character, out of time and real life is reminiscent of the immersive experience of a good book or movie, where you tend to identify with the hero.
- Video games require a certain concentration. This has a positive impact on children’s selective attention… and adults. In addition, this media is used as a prevention and care tool in the case of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- There are hundreds of different types of games to discover. Everyone will therefore be able to find his account and, ultimately, the associated benefits.
- By perfecting oneself on the techniques of games, one develops one’s dexterity, one’s psychomotor coordination, one’s ability to make decisions quickly, one’s logical and strategic mind.
- To surpass yourself, overcome challenges and get rewards in the game (worlds, characters, costumes, levels…) which can be good for self-confidence .
And you? Why do you play video games?
Reply in the comments section, below!