Fortnite is one of the most popular multiplayer games in the world. It is particularly known for the online battle royale mode. However, it offers a feature that is not really put forward by the developers: the possibility for two players to play in split-screen mode, on the same console, against the other 98 players. This mode is only available on Xbox and Playstation consoles. So no split screen mode for mobile, PC and Nintendo Switch. The game’s official website explains the method to get there, but the instructions are unclear. We decided to make you a tutorial that is more explicit and easy to follow.
Before you start, what you need
To access Fortnite’s split-screen mode, you must have the following:
- An Xbox One/Series X/Series S or Playstation 4 or 5 console.
- 2 controllers
- Each player must have an Epic Games account
- Each player must have a Playstation account (for Playstation 4 or 5) or an Xbox account (for Xbox One/Series X/Series S)
1) Create a session for each player
Each player must have a session of their own on the console. So you’ll have one session per player who wants to play Fortnite in split-screen. This mode is available for two players only.
2) Log in to the Fortnite game
Each player must log in to Fortnite on their respective session. To do this:
- Log in to Player 1.
- Start Fortnite on Player 1’s session.
- Connect Player 1 on the Fortnite game.
- Close the Fortnite game and player 1 session.
- Log in to player 2.
- Start Fortnite on Player 2’s session.
- Connect Player 2 on the Fortnite game.
Now close the Fortnite game, and turn off the console, it will be easier for the future.
3) Play in split-screen mode
What you’ve done so far isn’t necessary to replicate the next few times you want to play split-screen mode. For your next games, you can start from the 3rd step.
- Player 1 turns on the console with his controller, selects his session, and starts the Fortnite game.
- Player 1 presses the up button on the directional cross to select Duo or Squad mode. Split screen mode is only available on these 2 game modes.
- Player 2 turns on his controller. There will be a pop-up asking player 2 to select a session. Player 2 selects his session.
- You will be back on the home menu. You will be able to see, in the lower right corner of the screen, this button:
- Player 2 must then press the button that appears in this corner of the screen. He must hold the button pressed for a few seconds.
- Player 2’s avatar should appear in one of the empty spaces next to player 1’s avatar.
You can then start the game in order to play in split screen mode!