What parents need to know
Hogwarts Legacy is a third-person open-world action-adventure RPG game. That is to say that the player can move in a world freely, choose to do his side quests in parallel with the main ones, while leveling up as he wishes.
The game takes place in the universe of the famous Harry Potter saga around 1890 (approximately 100 years before Harry Potter ). The player is a student of Hogwarts and faces many mysteries as to his rare magical ability. It is possible to be a full-fledged actor in this adventure that plunges players into a magical adventure.
From the beginning of the story, you understand that your hero has rare abilities: that of controlling an ancient magic. Malicious people will do anything to get what you have.
Different release dates
The release date of Hogwarts Legacy has been announced for February 10, 2023, nevertheless, the game will be released on different platforms. This is to be taken into account for your choice of platform.
- February 7, 2023: Early release for Deluxe and Collector’s Edition on PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC platforms.
- February 10, 2023: Official release of the game on PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC.
- May 5, 2023 : Release on PS4 and Xbox One.
- July 25, 2023 : Release on Nintendo Switch.
Principle of the game
- The character is customizable to the player’s liking. Skin color, hair, eyes, face shape, voice, gender, and many other features.
- The wand is also customizable with some predefined choices. The player can choose the shape of his wand and its color according to what the game offers, but the fact remains that we choose the wand that suits us.
- Clothes are to be unlocked through quests or in a store in town for money. Same for the hairdresser.
- Be careful, you will not be able to change the shape of the face, the gender and the voice of your character after validating his creation.
- The player can move and jump, classic. He can also use magic by learning spells through his quests. A small QTE, quick time event (a specific mini game of key associations), to learn spells will just serve to immerse yourself. The spells will be accessible via a button directly afterwards.
- With spells, the player will be able to interact with the environment or enemies. Solve puzzles in the school, attack enemies encountered and many other things. The game guides us well enough to understand the mechanics.
- Being an RPG, the player also has a character level. It is by solving quests that we level up to gain experience.
- In addition to all this, the player has the opportunity to improve his items, collect resources and concoct potions through botany and potion courses.
Choosing your home
- In the Harry Potter universe, there are 4 houses in the school. Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Poufssoufle. If you are a fan, you will know first-hand the different reputation that houses have. Otherwise, to be very rude: Gryffindor are brave, Slytherin ambitious, Ravenclaw learned and Hufflepuff loyal. As part of the game, the house you choose will change the location of your common room (dormitory). A Ravenclaw cannot go to the apartments of a Gryffindor!
- Quests would even be different between each house. Do not hesitate to make one character per house to discover the whole game.
- For fans, the Harry Potter Fan Club application allows you to test your house, your boss and your wand beforehand (you will not have the wand assigned though). Just link your Harry Potter Fan Club account to your WB Games account to have an exclusive item !
- If you have not come across the house of your choice, do not panic! It will be possible to change it in the game.
- The main quests will be used to follow the main story of the game. In the beginning, it will often be our teachers giving us homework, attending classes or infiltrating places. The quests are quite varied and rewarding.
- Side quests are often present to help other students. Rewards will be given such as experience and items or outfits. It’s just as fun to do them, putting us more immersed.
- It is possible to discover quests by yourself by solving some hidden puzzles throughout the school. Puzzles and puzzles worthy of the school of witchcraft.
- From the beginning of the game, the player will have a combat tutorial using his movements and acquired spells . Think of it as a combo combination, as spells need to take a few seconds to regenerate before being reused. In addition to attacking, you will have to parry with a shield and / or play on the timing with the spells cast.
Release date : February 10, 2023
Developed by: Avalanche Software
Published by: Warner Bros. Games
Type of game: Action adventure
Average length of a game: According to the desires.
Estimated total game duration: 35-40 hours for the main story.
Themes: Harry Potter, magic, mysteries
Business model: Full purchase
Number of players: 1 playerThe game was provided by the publisher for review. This does not influence our opinion.
Violence, fear, nudity?
Magic battles are ubiquitous in the game. The player fights against humans and fantastic creatures of all kinds. There are explosions, screams of pain and impact noises, although this is moderate.
It is possible to cross bodies with a little blood and piles of bones, but really not often.
There is also the mention of buttermilk that the player can drink in a bar, a drink mentioned as slightly alcoholic.
Minimum reading level required
Being an adventure game, reading will be necessary at least although the characters talk all the time. This will be important to read the current quests, side quests or find your way around the menu.
Language level used
The word “bastard” appears a few times in play but it is very light.
The game is well balanced and offers 4 different thresholds of difficulty through a story mode, with easy fights, to fights where it will take raining rounds to finish them. There is something for everyone!
Minimum controller execution level required
It is possible to play with keyboard / mouse, but the controller is more ergonomic and intuitive. Pay attention to the management of the camera in 3D, especially in combat!
Additional costs ?
For $79.99 you will have the full game.
Add $29.99 and you can have 2 cosmetic DLCs.
For $89.99 you will have the deluxe version (full game + 2 DLC of cosmetics).
Hogwarts Legacy plunges us into an extremely immersive fantasy universe. We feel like we’re playing in the middle of a movie, with its many cinematics and graphic quality. It is very pleasant to walk the corridors of the school, or other places. It is possible to notice a particular attention to detail. Ghosts of the school wandering, students discussing various topics, armor reacting to our presence and many other surprises.
In addition to this deep immersion, our character is unique in the story, possessing special abilities, which earns us enemies seeking to defeat us. The player is completely actor of the game, can make certain choices of dialogues and action sometimes. It’s your destiny!
The fights are enjoyable and well balanced. The management of the camera can seem a little complicated at first, especially to select the enemies in action, which is a shame. It is necessary to be comfortable with the camera to succeed in your fights and a training center is available to train.
The main and side quests align well: the player has no pressure to continue the main story at all costs and can afford to solve a few side quests in order to increase his experience and immersion.
In summary, we can notice the density of work given behind Hogwarts Legacy, each element has its importance, each quest is well thought out and fun, the atmosphere is incredible, the game has many surprises in store for us.
However, watch out for older consoles like the Xbox One or Nintendo Switch. This game is very demanding and can cause latency or graphics much less beautiful, or even mediocre.